J.M Whitney &Co., Inc. is a commercial and residential real estate company based in Watertown since 1950. We are proud to offer our clients the strength of our experience and our knowledge of the real estate market.
For over 50 years, J.M. Whitney & Co. has been meeting the changing needs of clients who range from the individual homeowner, to small companies, to international corporations.
The services and expertise our team provides can guide you through all stages of the real estate process-from appraisals to management and everything in between. We offer commercial and residential real estate services in the following areas:
Appraisals - Malcolm Whitney has been an accepted expert witness for the Appelate Tax Board for over 20 years and an Assessor for over 40 years and involved in appraising properties for 50 years.
Brokerage The Whitney Team has been Brokering and Leasing Real Estate for over 50 Years.
Consulting/ Development J.M. Whitney & Co., Inc. has the expertise to advise clients on positioning properties for sale, Leasing campaigns or redevelopment.
Management J.M. Whitney & co., Inc. have experience in Property management ranging from single family residences to multi-family residences and commercial, industrial and retail properties.
Meet the Winning Whitney Team
President of J.M. Whitney & Co. since 1988, Curtis Whitney is responsible for sales and leasing, appraisals, and property management for both residential and commercial properties. He is also responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the company. Prior to becoming President, Curtis served as Vice President since 1981. Curtis is a licensed real estate and insurance broker in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Before J.M. Whitney & Co., Curtis served as Vice President of Management Realty Group and for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as Senior Property Tax Clerk. He is a Corporator for Boston Biomedical Research Institute. Curtis is active in many local charities including the Jimmy Fund and the American Cancer Society. He currently serves as President of the Watertown Girls and Boys Club, is a past President and Director of Rotary Club of Watertown and is a member of the Watertown Chamber of Commerce. A native of Watertown, Curtis attended the Belmont Hill School and holds BS in Management from Bentley College.
J. Malcolm “Mal” Whitney
Mal founded J.M. Whitney & Co. in Watertown in 1950 and served as its President until 1988. He has been a licensed real estate and insurance broker in Massachusetts since 1950 and is an expert in property taxation and real estate assessing practices. He was a Watertown assessor from 1953 to 1984 and served as Chairman of the Assessors’ Board in 1966. Mal is active with the Middlesex County Association of Assessing Officers and served as President in 1968. He is also a member of the Massachusetts Association of Assessing Officers and the International Association of Assessing Officers. He has taught a course at the University of MA, and has participated in various tax symposiums around the world. He also prepared and testified before the Massachusetts Appellate Tax Board in a number of significant tax appeal cases brought against the Town of Watertown. Mal is former President of the Watertown Boys’ Club, Watertown Kiwanis Club and the Watertown Booster Club. He is a former Chairman of the Watertown Recreation Commission and a Past Exalted Ruler of the Watertown Lodge of Elks. Mal entered the U.S. Navy in 1943 and served from 1943 to 1947 U.S. Navy Destroyer Escort USS Hilbert.
James F Riordan (Jim) Licensed Sales Agent
Jim’s responsibilities include sales, leasing and property management of both commercial and residential real property. Jim is also responsible for the technical infrastructure at JM Whitney Companies. Previously Jim was Vice President of 2C Communications Group, a leader in video communications services. Jim left the computer information services industry after 20 years of various responsibilities including corporate property acquisitions and leasing. Throughout the North East and Mid-Atlantic Jim personally managed numerous corporate relocations in a variety of business environments while operating within a specified budget. Jim is also involved with a number of sports organizations through out the New England area and resides in Boston.
Some of J.M. Whitney & Co., Inc’s recent real estate projects and deals include:
- Brokering and organizing the purchase and final development of one of the world’s largest Harley-Davidson dealership. This included locating the site, organizing the environmental cleanup (which cost about $1,200,000.) and redevelopment of the property and through our Insurance group J.M. Whitney Insurance placed Stop Gap insurance for Environmental clean up cost over-runs.
- Curtis Whitney obtained the Buyer and working with a brokerage team sold the 450,000 sq. ft. Motorola office park for $37.5 million which was located in the Cabot business Park in Mansfield, MA
- Working with the local Zoning board, organized related community meetings in order to craft an Assisted-Living Overlay District for new developments and coordinating the re-zoning of the First Baptist Church property to also include the R.75 zoning for multi-family developments. Also represent the Phillips Congregational Church for rezoning for “limited business”.
- Assisted Lincoln Property Companies to permit and approve 224 apartment units in Watertown through the Special Permit and 40 B permit approval process.
- Assisted a team to establish the project loan request documents and obtaining financing, marketing and development for a 750 unit 55 and older development known as Southport on Cape Cod in Mashpee, Massachusets.
- Successfully completing a bankruptcy reorganization and subsequent sale of property for New England Country Club and Development.
- Curtis Whitney purchased residential land on Martha’s Vineyard which was encroached upon by the Town drinking wells district. Working with the Town officials the land was subdivided into three (3) single family parcels which were subsequently sold and developed.
J.M. Whitney & Co. is the only real estate or insurance office in Watertown that has been continuously family-run over 50 years.
For more information about J.M. Whitney & Co., call 617-924-7500 or visit www.JMWhitney.com